Apple users get the privilege of connecting with other Apple users over iMessage. It offers the option to collaborate with others over messages. You can share text messages, stickers, audio, photos, links, and more. When paired, iMessage sync to all your Apple devices, and you will never lose track of any conversation. With the iOS 16 update, users can even unsend the message on the iPhone. If you happen to switch to a non-Apple device, it is essential to deregister iMessage. With this, you will never lose any message, or your contacts can identify you aren’t using iMessage. While turning off iMessage on iPhone is easy, the same isn’t the case if you want to deregister iMessage for contact. To better clarify this issue, you should get to know the details on how to turn off iMessage for a contact.
Can I Turn Off iMessage for a Contact?
No. While it is possible to turn off iMessage on iPhone / iPad, there is no way possible to turn off or disable sharing or receiving iMessage for a single contact. So, you cannot restrict a particular contact who is disturbing or annoying you from sharing messages. In other words, Apple has not listed this feature yet, and you will turn it off entirely.
There is no absolute need to turn off the iMessage entirely if you aren’t interested in connecting with that one contact. Hence, we have provided you with alternative ways.
How To Turn Off iMessage for a Contact – Alternative Ways
Since you cannot turn off iMessage for a single contact, you may mute or block that contact. With this, you are breaking the communication from that contact temporarily.
Mute Conversation in iMessage
If you want to prevent yourself from getting notified of iMessages from a particular person, you shall mute the contact. It will work for iMessages and SMS as well.
1. Launch the Messages app on your iPhone/iPad.
2. On the chat screen, swipe towards the left of any conversation.
3. Select Hide Alerts.
4. Now, you will find a half-moon icon next to the chat you have silenced.
Note: It is possible to turn off iMessage on Mac/MacBook if you don’t want to get diverted by the message notifications.
Block Contact on iMessage
If you don’t want to deal with messages from one specific person, you shall opt to block the contact. It is one of the alternative options for turning off the iMessage for a contact.
1. Open the Messages app on your iOS device.
2. Select the conversation you want to block.
3. Now, press the Info (i) button from the top-right.
4. Choose the contact name and select Block Caller from the bottom.
5. Further, tap on the Block Contact option.
6. With this, you will not receive any messages from that contact.
Upon blocking, you will also not receive any calls or FaceTime requests from that person.
Note: It is important to know how to Turn Off iMessage on iPhone / iPad in two different ways.
How to Deregister your Phone Number from iMessage
It is possible to deregister your phone number from the iMessage. It is one of the easiest ways to turn off or not receive the iMessage that someone sends to you.
- 1. Visit https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/ from a browser.
- 2. Go ahead to enter the phone number in the field provided.
- 3. Type in the Captcha Code and click the Send Code link.
- 4. Now, you will receive a 6-digit code to deregister on your iPhone with the phone number you entered previously.
- 5. Enter the code on the Confirmation Code field and click Submit.
These were the only possible ways to disable iMessage from one person. You shall try either of the methods until Apple comes up with an option to turn off iMessage for a contact.