The microphone on your iPhone is essential for answering FaceTime and phone calls, video recordings, etc. Sometimes you will experience the iPhone microphone not working on calls, but the speaker does. Additionally, Siri won’t recognize your voice if the iPhone Microphone is not working properly. However, you can fix this issue by trying the possible troubleshooting methods.
Causes for Microphone Not Working on iPhone
We have mentioned the common reasons for the Microphone not working on your iPhone.
- Outdated iOS version
- Debris on the microphone openings
- Using screen protectors and cases
- Issues with communication apps
- Using damaged headphones with iPhone
Best Fixes for iPhone Mic Not Working
You can try out the fixes one by one to troubleshoot your iPhone microphone not working issue.
- Check and clean the openings on iPhone (Microphone)
- Restart your iPhone
- Take off the Screen Protector and Case
- Disconnect External Accessories
- Use a New Headphone
- Restart the Apps
- Give Permission for the Apps to Access Microphone
- Turn off Noise Cancellation
- Try iPhone Microphone Test
- Check for Updates on your iPhone
- Reset your iPhone
- Get Customer Support from Apple
Check and Clean the Openings on iPhone (Microphone)
If you get a muffled sound on the iPhone microphone, or if you find debris over the microphone, clean it with a brush. It is the primary fix you could try to check the microphones on your iPhone. Generally, your iPhone will have a minimum of three mics. So you need to check all three openings.
Remember, you should not use compressed air in the microphone, as it will damage the microphone.
Restart your iPhone
If the microphone is not working even after cleaning it, you need to restart your iPhone. Because restarting any device will resolve the temporary issues. It may even fix the issue with the mic of your iPhone. If that doesn’t give you a hand, you shall try out the other fixes.
Note: You shall learn to restart your iPhone as the process varies depending on the model.
Take Off the Screen Protector and Case
In case you are using a screen protector or a case on your iPhone, there are possibilities for it to block the microphone openings on your iPhone. Hence, you need to remove the screen protector or case, then check if the microphone works on your iPhone.
Disconnect External Accessories
If you have connected the Bluetooth headset or headphones to your iPhone, disconnect it and check whether the microphone on your iPhone works. Because the problems may be with the headphones, you use with your iPhone.
Use a New Headphone
As mentioned previously, the problem may be with the headphone you are using with the device. So avoid using cheap and damaged headphones with your iPhone. Instead, connect a new headphone to your device to check if the mic works.
Restart the Apps
Sometimes, the microphone will not work with particular communications apps like WhatsApp and Skype on your iPhone. The problem may be with the app, so restarting the app may help you to fix the problem. If this doesn’t work, you can move on with the next troubleshooting method.
Give Permission for the Apps to Access Microphone
Some apps on your iPhone will ask for permission to use a microphone on your iPhone. If you didn’t give permission, the app would not be able to access the microphone. So make sure you permit all the apps asking for permission. You can do that by following the steps mentioned below.
1. Navigate to Settings on your iPhone.
2. Scroll down and select the Privacy option.
3. Choose the Microphone option to see the apps requested for microphone access.
4. Turn on the app that is currently facing problems with the microphone.
Turn Off Noise Cancellation
The next fix for the iPhone mic not working issue is to disable noise cancellation on your iPhone. The noise cancellation feature on your iPhone will reduce the noise in your surroundings when you hold the receiver near your ear. So you need to disable it to avoid issues with the microphones. To disable the noise cancellation on your iPhone.
1. Unlock your iPhone and go to Settings.
2. Scroll down and select the Accessibility option.
3. Choose Audio/Visual down to Hearing.
4. Swipe the toggle next to Phone Noise Cancellation to disable it.
Try iPhone Microphone Test
As mentioned, you can find three mics on your iPhone, primary, front, and back microphones. To find out which microphone is not working, you need to test them individually to fix the issue.
#1. To check the primary microphone,
- Locate the Voice Memos app on your iPhone.
- Next, click the Record icon and record your voice.
- After recording your voice play it, if you can listen to your voice, there is no problem with the primary microphone.
#2. Next, open the Camera app on your iPhone to check if the problem is with the front microphone.
- Click the video icon and tap selfie view to record your voice.
- Then, go to the Photos app and play the recorded video.
- If you can hear your voice, no issues with the front microphone.
#3. You can also check the back microphone with the camera app.
- Open the camera and click the video icon and record your voice.
- Once the video is recorded, locate the Photos app and play the recorded video.
- If you can hear your voice, there is no problem with the back microphone.
Check for Updates on your iPhone
The next fix is to update your iPhone because using the outdated version of your iPhone will lead to such issues. If you are not getting automatic updates, you can follow the below-mentioned steps to update your iPhone.
1. Unlock your iPhone and navigate to Settings.
2. Choose the General option.
3. Next, click the Software Update option.
4. Check for updates and tap the Install button to update your iPhone.
Reset your iPhone
Resetting your iPhone to factory defaults will also help you to fix the problem with the microphone. Because some changes on your iPhone will lead to the microphone not working issue. You can click the link here to factory reset your iPhone in three different methods.
Get Customer Support from Apple
If none of the above-mentioned fixes help you in troubleshooting the problem with the microphone on your iPhone, you can get customer support from Apple. If your iPhone has a warranty, you can also get your iPhone replaced by Apple. Additionally, you can give your iPhone to a service center to resolve the mic not working problem.
Frequently Asked Question
You shall try the fixes listed in the article to use Facetime without issue.