Apple iPhone is known for the best camera, fast processor, security, battery life, and lots more. They are the highest-rated and ever known international smartphones of all time. Apple releases iOS updates for free now and then. Therefore it is better to keep your device up to date to fix the bugs or issues you face with the current version. Also, you get the chance to use the new features with the recent update on your iPhone. In other words, every other feature you use on your iPhone is a part of an update with the previous iOS release. Therefore you should know how to update iPhone to iOS 14 or any latest version if you want to take advantage of all these features.
Important Note: You cannot update iPhone 6 to iOS 13 and the subsequent iOS versions as Apple ended the support. So, you should upgrade your iPhone with the newer models.
How To Update iPhone
There are different ways to update your iPhone. The procedure is discussed briefly in the below section.
Important: It is essential to back up your device before updating your iPhone manually with the latest version.
Update iPhone Automatically
Your iPhone will update itself to the latest version automatically when the auto update option is turned on. Else turn it on to take advantage of automatic updates.
1. Open Settings and select General.
2. Choose Software Update.
3. Tap on Automatic Updates or Customize Automatic Updates.
4. When a new update is available, iPhone updates the same while connected to WiFi or overnight while charging.
Note: When updated, your iPhone will notify you regarding the same.
Update iPhone Manually
iPhone lets you check for new updates and install them on the go. However, it is a manual process, and you should keep an eye on the latest update when the auto-update is turned off.
1. On your iPhone, launch the Settings app from the Home screen.
2. Select General and click Software Update.
3. You will find the current version and if an update is available.
How to Update iPhone Without WiFi / Using iTunes on PC
Whether you have Windows or Mac PC, iPhone can be updated with the help of iTunes.
1. Firstly, connect your iPhone to your PC using the lightning USB cable.
2. Do the steps based on the PC you are using.
- On your Mac, select iPhone on the Finder sidebar and choose General.
- On Windows PC, click the iPhone button on the iTunes app and select Summary.
3. Go ahead and hit the Check for Update button.
4. When a new update is available, you need to tap Update.
5. If you see Terms and Conditions, select Agree.
6. Provide the passcode on the iPhone if prompted.
Also Read: 8 Ways to Fix iPhone Could Not Be Updated Issue
Bonus: Update iPhone Wirelessly
If you find a message saying a new update is available for your iPhone, you shall tap on the Install Now button. With this, the update will happen immediately. Otherwise, follow the below steps.
1. Connect your iPhone to the WiFi and plug it into the charger.
2. Open the Settings app and select General.
3. Click on the Software Update option.
4. Now, tap on Download and Install.
5. If prompted, you shall enter the passcode.
6. Select Agree to the Terms and conditions.
7. Confirm updating by pressing the Agree button again.
Note: Select Install to update now or select Later and choose Install Tonight. You can select Remind Me Later to install it later.
No matter which method you opt to, your iPhone gets the latest iOS version. With this, you shall experience all the new features and functionalities of iOS. Visit our blog for more interesting tips, tricks, and updates.