Mac or Macintosh is a line-up of personal computers by Apple Inc. macOS is known for its powerful creativity and productivity tools. Thus, users can efficiently explore, work, and connect. Mac is a feature-rich desktop or laptop with built-in apps. Further, you can explore and download great apps and editorial content from Mac App Store. Apple devices are known for the continuity as the company has made them work together in several aspects. One such feature is you can unlock Mac with Apple Watch. If you are a user of both and find this exciting and time-saving, you will find this article useful.
How to Unlock Mac with Apple Watch?
If you have Apple Watch on your wrist, the nearby macOS can sense it and logs you automatically. With this, you don’t require unlocking macOS manually with the device passcode. All it requires to unlock macOS with Apple Watch is to bring your watchOS closer to Mac. To use this feature, you need to set up the auto-unlock feature on Mac. Check out the below section to pair macOS with your watchOS.
- macOS with 2013 or later.
- Your watchOS should have a passcode.
- Keep the 2-step verification is turned off on watchOS. [Visit https://appleid.apple.com > login > disable 2-step verification]
- Turn on the 2-step authentication on your Mac. [System Preferences > iCloud > Account Details > Security > Turn on 2-Step Authentication]
Steps to Set Up Auto Unlock
You need to set up auto-unlock to unlock macOS using watchOS. For this, you must ensure the system requirements for the Continuity camera. Proceed further with watchOS 3 or later and macOS Sierra or later.
Device Set-Up Requirements
- Turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection on your Mac.
- Apple Watch and Mac use the iCloud with the same Apple ID.
- Apple ID has two-factor authentication turned on.
- watchOS uses a passcode.
Note: Check if your macOS supports the Auto-Unlock feature before proceeding further. The same steps will work if Apple Watch stopped unlocking Mac.
- Press and hold the Option key.
- Go to Apple Menu to click on System Information.
- Select Wi-Fi and look for the status next to the Auto-Unlock option.
1. On your macOS, choose Apple Menu and click on System Preferences.
2 Hit Security & Privacy. Select the check box next to “Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac or Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.”
3. When prompted, provide your device password and click OK.
Useful Tips: Look for the following if you can’t unlock Mac using watchOS.
- If the feature fails to work, restart Mac.
- Turn off Screen sharing and Internet Sharing.
- It is mandatory to provide the Mac password for the first time to unlock macOS after turning on the Auto Unlock. You will not be prompted thereafter.
Related: How to Unlock iPhone Passcode Without Computer
How to Approve Other Password Requests?
Besides unlocking macOS, you can use your Apple Watch to approve other requests. i.e., without manually entering the administrator password.
FYI! You can make use of the auto-unlock feature anywhere that requires the Mac passcode. For instance, unlocking a locked note, approving app installation, viewing passwords in Safari, etc. To save some time and accept all these password requests, you shall follow the steps given below.
1. Make sure your macOS and watchOS are closer.
2. Unlock your Apple Watch.
3. Perform any of the above actions listed (in the FYI section).
4. With this, macOS will prompt you to approve with watchOS.
5. Look at your watchOS for the prompt. Double-click the side button to approve the request.
Also see How to Approve iPhone/iPad [3 Easy Methods]
Now that you have learned to unlock macOS using Apple Watch. For more such useful tips & tricks, you shall stay tuned with our blog.