Safari is one of the fastest browsers that you can use to surf the internet. It is the default browser for macOS and iOS systems. It comes with powerful privacy protections and robust customization options. You can access all types of websites on the Safari browser. You can save passwords, bookmarks, history, tabs, and more to access it later quickly. The private browsing mode doesn’t save any of your histories, so you can browse without any worries. It comes with intelligent tracking prevention, which prevents your browsing from the trackers. It supports voice search, so you can use your voice to search things easily instead of typing. Other than Safari, you can use Google Chrome, Opera, and Firefox on your Mac. If you don’t want to use the Safari browser anymore on your Mac, you can uninstall the browser on Mac.
How to Uninstall Safari on Mac
You can uninstall Safari from Mac and MacBook in three different ways. All the three methods are explained in detail in the below section.
Uninstall Safari using Terminal
The Safari browser can be uninstalled from Mac with the Terminal. For that, you have to enable administrative privileges on Mac. This is the easiest method you can try.
1. Launch the Application folder on Mac and double-click on Utilities to open Terminal. Or press the Command + Spacebar buttons and type Terminal in the search box.
2. Now, the Terminal app will open.
3. To go to the Applications directory, type cd/Applications and execute the command.
4. Then, type sudo -rf Safari.app/ command, and it will ask you for a password.
5. Enter the password, and the Safari browser will be uninstalled from your Mac.
Note: These methods apply to all Mac models, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro.
Uninstall Safari on Mac Manually
If you are using OS X 10.11 E1 Caption or later, this method will not work because of Apple security and protection. This method will work on the earlier version of macOS.
1. Open the Finder and find the below-given directory.
2. Select and uninstall Safari-related files from each folder.
3. Navigate to /Users/(yourName)/Library/Address Book plug-Ins and delete the Safari-related Plugins.
4. Next, move to /Users/(yourName)/Library/Caches/ and delete all the Safari cache files.
5. Go to /Users/(yourName)/Library/Saved Application State/ to delete the saved states of Safari.
6. Finally, delete the Safari crashes report files from /Users/(yourName)/Library/Application Support/Crash Report folder.
7. Next, move Safari to the trash can or recycle bin, and the browser will be deleted from your Mac.
Related: How to add an extension on Safari browser.
Uninstall Safari on Mac with a Third-Party App
Finally, you can use third-party apps to delete Safari from Mac. If you are not using macOS Catalina 10.15 or later, you can use a third-party uninstaller to remove the app. You will find plenty of third-party uninstallers on the App Store. Here we are going to use the CleanMyMac X application to delete Safari on Mac.
1. Install the CleanMyMac X app on your Mac from the official website.
2. Launch the app and click on Preferences from the menu bar.
3. Choose the Ignore List option and click on Uninstaller on the left.
4. Next, uncheck the box near to Ignore system applications option and return to the Uninstaller tab.
5. Under that, scroll down to the Safari browser.
6. Tap on the Applications Reset option.
7. Finally, click on the Remove button to uninstall the Safari browser on Mac permanently.
These are the three methods that you can try to uninstall the Safari browser on Mac. If you are using OS X 10.11 E1 Caption and later, try to use the first and third methods to uninstall the Safari app from Mac. Because the manual method doesn’t work on the latest macOS.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can uninstall Safari on Mac using the Terminal app.
To delete bookmarks on Safari, click the sidebar button in the toolbar and choose Bookmarks. And control-click bookmark and choose Delete.
Use the CleanMyMac X app to uninstall Safari from Macbook.
To delete Safari browser history, navigate to History >> Clear History and tap the pop-up. And then, select how far you want to delete browsing history.
Go to Safari >> Preferences >> click Extensions. Select the extension that you want to delete and click the Uninstall button.
To clear cookies on Safari, navigate to Safari >> Preferences >> Privacy >> click the Block all cookies option and Block All for confirmation.