One of the curses of the modern-day lifestyle is the lack of enough sleep and the fatigue that comes with it. If you are suffering from sleeping issues or want to keep static data of your sleep patterns, the Apple Watch has a built-in Sleep app that will help you to do the same. The Apple Watch Sleep app is free and offers you cool sleep tracking features. You can use this app to create a personalized sleep schedule to get enough sleep so you can meet your sleep goals. By knowing how to track sleep on Apple Watch, you shall find a better view of your sleep cycle.
Besides this, other third-party apps give you more statical data, but you will have to pay for them. You need an Apple Watch 3 series or later with watchOS 7 or later to use the Sleep app. Another awesome feature the app provides is the asleep scheduling feature to attain your sleep goals. All you need to do is wear your watchOS to bed, and it will track your sleep. Once you wake up, go to the Sleep app and check for the time. It shows sleep trends for the past 14 days. It is vital to check the battery on your Apple Watch, and you can charge it for at least 30 percent if it is low.
How to Set Up Apple Watch Sleep Tracking
With the guidelines given below, you can use the Health app to set up a sleep goal so that you can find if you have attained your sleep goals.
1. Initially, open the Health app on iPhone.
2. Then, tap the Browse tab on the bottom-right of the screen and select the Sleep option in the menu.
2. Further, tap on the Get Started button Under Set Up Sleep.
3. Tap on the Next button and then use the Plus and Minus buttons to set a sleep goal, then again tap on the Next button.
4. Next, set a sleep schedule. Use the circular slider to tap the weekdays you want the schedule to apply to. Then, tap on the Add button.
5. If you are done setting up your sleeping schedule, tap on the Next Button.
6. Follow the on-screen prompts to set up sleep screen features as listed down.
- Use Sleep Goals to choose the total hours you want to sleep
- With the Bedtime and Wake Up times, you can set the time for your bed and wake up.
- Using the Sleep Screen, you can limit yourself from getting distracted. i.e., use the Lock screen to select Sleep Focus for your scheduled bedtime.
- Wind Down Shortcuts will add shortcuts that will help you relax before bed with the meditation app or playlists.
- By selecting Track Sleep with Apple Watch, you can wear your watch to bed and track your sleep.
7. Finally, tap on the Done button when you are finished
You can learn to use Dock on Apple Watch so that you can quickly open your favorite apps or the shortcuts of the most recently used apps.
How to Update/Change your Sleep Schedule on Apple Watch
1. Firstly, open the Sleep app on your Apple Watch and tap on Full Schedule.
2. Then, tap on the schedule you want to update.
3. Further, tap on the Days active option. Then, tap on the days you want the sleep schedule to be active.
4. Next, tap on the Done button to save the changes you made.
5. Once you are done saving the changes made, tap on the Wake-Up or Bedtime option to update them.
6. Choose the hour and minute sections separately and use the Digital Crown to set the time to your preference.
7. Next, tap on the Alarm to turn on the alarm and adjust the haptics.
8. Finally, tap on the Edit Schedule button on the top-left corner of your watch screen to save your sleep schedule changes.
How to View Sleep History
You can’t view the sleep history on the Apple watch itself. Instead, you will have to use your iPhone to see your sleeping history. Open the Health app on your iPhone and tap Sleep in the Summary tab or Browse tab to see your sleeping history.
How to Adjust Sleep Goal
It is possible to adjust the sleep goal, and you can do that from your Apple Watch.
1. Launch the Sleep app and click on the Full Schedule.
2. Under the Options, you shall choose Sleep Goal.
3. Choose the Plus and Minus buttons to adjust the goal.
4. Now, select Sleep Goal from the top and save your changes.
Tip: To adjust sleep goal from your iPhone, open the Health app >> select Browse >> choose Sleep Goal >> adjust sleep goal.
Third-Party Apps to Track Sleep on Apple Watch
Apple’s inbuilt sleep tracking app is great considering it is free, but other paid third-party apps are on the market. Let us see a few of the best ones.
Auto sleep is a third-party app available in the App Store. The app gives you statical data on your sleep quality based amount of sleep you get, restlessness, the amount of time you are awake, and your heart rate. The app is available for you at a one-time purchase of $4.99.
- Download AutoSleep from the App Store.
Sleep Cycle is another advanced sleep tracking app available for your Apple watch. It has advanced features like monitoring snoring, sleep-talking, coughing, and other things that can affect the quality of your sleep. The subscription to Sleep Cycle costs you $29.99/ year.
- Download Sleep Cycle from the App Store.
Sleep++ is a free app with in-app premium purchases. The app has both an automatic mode and a manual mode. With the manual mode, you can tell the watch when you will sleep, providing more control over the data collected.
- Download Sleep++ from the App Store.
SleepWatch is another alternative to the above apps. It effectively calculates your sleep by taking into consideration factors like heart rate, sleep rhythm, sleep disruptions, and more. The app has a couple of subscription plans, $3.99/month or $29.99/year.
- Download SleepWatch from the App Store.
Tracking your sleep cycles is easy and automatic when you have Pillow on your Apple Watch. It works as a sleep assistant and analyzes your sleep with Apple Watch on your wrist. You will find a detailed sleep stage diagram and sleep score with Pillow. It costs $6.99/month and $39.99/year.
- Download Pillow from the App Store.
I hope this article has been clear in answering all your questions about how to track sleep on Apple Watch. You can go for the in-built app as it is free and provides enough features. If you want to access more advanced features, you can always pick one paid third-party app.
If you have enabled Sleep Tracking, Apple Watch will track your sleep automatically.
You can follow the same guidelines given in this article to track your sleep on series 3 watchOS models.
You shall swipe down the app screen and find more details about your sleep.