Apple Watch is a great smartwatch with lots of advanced options. One such feature is fall detection, and it can be referred to as a life-saving feature. It is the best feature for the aged Apple Watch users. We may fall down unexpectedly sometimes. At the time you fall, the watchOS detects the hard fall, beeps an alarm, and shows an alert. You can select the emergency services you need from the available options, and it sends a notification to the emergency service. But, after a fall, if you are unable to move or immobile, the watch starts to contact the emergency service. It gives mandatory information like your location to the emergency service providers. If you have Apple Watch SE, Apple Watch Series 4 and 5, you can use this feature at critical times. Look into this article to know the complete information about fall detection on Apple Watch.
FYI: If your watchOS detects you are immobile for a minute, it begins a 30-second countdown and sounds an alert while tapping you on your wrist. The alert gets louder over time so that someone nearby can hear and help you out.
How to Setup Hard Fall Detection on Apple Watch
Usually, Apple Watch users enter the age while setting up the Watch or in the Health app. If you are using Apple Watch series 4 and series 5, the fall detection automatically turns on if your age is 65 and above. If you are below 55 years old, you must enable the option manually. Follow the simple steps given below to enable the feature.
1. Open the Watch app on your iPhone.
2. Tap the My Watch tab from the bottom left.
3. Select Emergency SOS.
4. Scroll down and enable the Fall Detection option.
How to Make an Emergency Call After a Fall
When you fall, you will get an alert on your Apple Watch. With that, you will find a slider to call the emergency services with a button I’m okay.
1. First, slide the slider from left to right on your Apple Watch and tap I’m okay, if you are not hurt.
2. Speak to the emergency service operator and follow their instructions.
3. Tap the Phone icon when you hang the call.
4. Finally, click Yes for confirmation.
Note: The Apple Watch automatically records it when you fall, unless you tell your Apple Watch that you didn’t fall. If you want to check your fall history, go to the Health app on your iPhone, tap the Health Data tab and choose Results.
How to Add Friends and Family Members to Your Emergency List
Steps to Setup Medical ID on iPhone
1. Open your Watch app on your iPhone.
2. Select your Profile from the upper-right corner.
3. Choose Medical ID.
4. Further, tap Edit in the upper right corner.
5. Scroll to the Emergency Contacts section and select Add Emergency Contact. It will show your contact list.
6. Select the Contact that you want to add to your emergency contacts list.
7. Then, choose the Phone Number of the selected contact.
8. Next, identify your relationship with this person.
9. Repeat the steps to add more contacts.
Related: What Does Red Dot on Apple Watch Mean and How to Hide It
Steps to Setup Medical ID on Apple Watch
You can add the people through Apple Watch. However, you need to get the contact details from your iPhone.
1. Go to Settings on your Apple Watch.
2. Tap SOS.
3. Select Fall Detection and toggle the switch on.
4. Choose Confirm option.
5. Tap on the Medical ID and check the contact information from your iPhone.
What Settings Should you Turn On for a Hard Fall Detection to Work?
1. Launch the Settings app on your Apple Watch.
2. Tap Passcode and scroll down to turn on Wrist Detection.
How to Turn Off Hard Fall Detection on Apple Watch
1. Go to the Watch app on your iPhone.
2. Select the My Watch tab from the bottom left.
3. Choose Emergency SOS.
4. Scroll down and Turn Off the slider next to the Fall Detection option.
Related: How to Use Messages on Apple Watch [A Complete Guide]
That was all about the hard fall detection feature on Apple Watch. If the birthdate that you give while setting up the Apple Watch indicates that you are 55 and older, the fall detection will turn on automatically. If you are between 18 to 55, you have to turn on the fall detection. You can add and remove the emergency contact list at any time. Your Apple Watch is good enough to know whether you are moving or falling down. If you have any questions related to this article, ask us in the comments. For more useful article updates, you shall visit our blog.