We often have a lot of personal data on our computers that we don’t wish others to have access to. It is when a password-protected folder will come of great help to us. In other words, you can add passwords to the folders so that only you can open them. Also, you can give the password to anyone else if they need to access them. However, this is one of the most useful features on any device. Unfortunately, in macOS, it isn’t possible to encrypt folders directly. But, this doesn’t completely rule out all the chances to protect your folders on a Mac. You shall get into this section for a complete guide on how to password protect folders on Mac.
How to Encrypt Folders on Mac
As we said above, folders on Mac can’t be protected directly with a password. So, let us find useful methods to compensate for this.
How to Password protect folders on MacBook with Disk Utility
In this method, we make use of an encrypted disk image to protect your folder. To be more specific, you will create a DMG file with a password and the contents of your folder.
1. Firstly, launch Disk Utility with Spotlight on your Mac.
2. Further, click on File on the menu bar and then on New Image.
3. Next, click on the Image from Folder option on the drop-down menu.
4. Next, choose the folder that you wish to protect with a password.
5. Further, choose either of the Encryption Options in the next field.
Note: If you are looking for the best security, go for the 256-bit option. However, it might take enough time to encrypt and also to decrypt. It doesn’t mean that the 128-bit option doesn’t do its work. It is pretty much decent as the 256-bit option.
6. Follow the prompts and enter a strong password.
7. Next, choose the read/write option under the Image Format field. Only then you can add images to your encrypted folder.
8. Further, click on the Save option.
9. It will encrypt your disk image, and you need to wait for the success message.
10. If you haven’t selected any storage location, you can find the disk image next to your initial folder
11. Finally, delete the initial folder (if you don’t want it) and keep the password-protected disk image.
Related: How to Change Folder Color On Mac
How to Password Protect Zip Files on Mac with Compression
There is another in-built feature that will help you encrypt your files on Mac apart from Disk Utility. Follow these steps and encrypt the folder of your choice.
1. Firstly, open Terminal on your Mac and go to the folder you wish to encrypt.
2. Next, finish Confirmation and Enter Proper Command.
3. without quotes or periods, type down the command, “zip -e photo.zip photo.jpg.”
Note: Ensure that you don’t always enter Photo.JPG. Change it in accordance with to file or folder you are converting.
4. Next, provide the Password you like and then confirm.
5. Type down the password once again and then confirm.
6. Next, wait till the ZIP File displays in the folder you wish.
7. Finally, you have encrypted the folder according to your wish.
How to Password Protect Folders on Mac using a Third-Party App
If you want another cool option to encrypt your folder, choose third-party apps on your device.
Encrypto is one such third-party app that will help you add passwords to your folders. This app is available for download in the Mac App Store. It is really simple to use and encrypt folders on Encrypto. Let’s get started.
1. Turn on your Mac and then install Encrypto if you don’t have the tool.
2. Once the download is over, use Spotlight to launch the Encrypto app from the Applications folder.
3. Next, drag and drop the file to protect it on the Encrypto window.
4. Type down the strong password to protect the respective folder.
5. Also, add a hint that will help you remember the password. However, it is completely optional.
6. Once you are okay with the password, click on Encrypt.
7. It will start encrypting the respective folder.
8. Wait for the encryption to complete and then drag the same to the desired location.
9. Alternatively, choose the Share File or the Save As options to store the folder anywhere you wish.
10. Finally, double-click on the folder and then enter the password if you wish to check.
11. Finally, click on Decrypt to unlock the folder.
Related: How to Select Multiple Files on a Mac
Now, you are aware of the methods to Password Protect Folders on Mac. You can choose the most useful method for the same. If you aren’t looking for the best security, you can opt to hide the files or folders.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. By using the Encrypto app, you can protect the folders on Mac.
You can encrypt folders on Mac using Disk utility or third-party apps. To know about the steps, refer to the blog.