iPhone becomes faulty at times like every other smartphone. The device will show you the black screen, and you cannot identify the exact reason. It is one of the most common issues any iPhone user may find. If you go through this issue, you need not worry about losing your data. With the black screen of death, your screen shows black color while you can still access the device. Some reliable solutions will help you fix iPhone black screen issue. To get rid of the iPhone black screen of death issue, you shall proceed with the section below.
Possible Causes for iPhone Black Screen Issue
The following are the reason for your iPhone to display the black screen.
- Hardware issues
- Software crash
- Low battery
- A problem with a specific app
iPhone Black Screen – Best Fixes
We have multiple workarounds to help you fix the black screen of death issue on your iPhone. The most effective ones are discussed in the below section.
Force Restart iPhone
If your iPhone shows a black screen and is frozen, you shall opt to force restart iPhone. It is the simplest and first approach you should try to fix iPhone black screen issue. With this, most of the resolvable issues get fixed, including the black screen issue.
- On iPhone 8 & later – Press Volume Up button, Volume Down button, press and hold the Power button till you see the Apple logo.
- iPhone 7 and 7 Plus – Press and hold the Power and Volume Down button together till you get the Apple logo.
- On iPhone 6 and below – Hold the Power and Home button together till the Apple logo appears.
When the device turns on, it should work as usual. Else, proceed with the next fix.
Charge your iPhone
When your iPhone is drained out, you may see a black screen. It is often misunderstood that iPhone is stuck on the black screen as the drained device shows nothing. You can connect the iPhone to a charger and allow it to charge for a while. Now, press the Home button and check if you could see the Apple logo. If not, check if you are using the OEM charger. When the device turns on, your iPhone should work normally.
If you don’t see the charging indication after connecting iPhone to its charger, you shall force restart it. It can be performed while the phone is connected to the charger. Check if this has fixed the issue.
Tip: How to Charge your iPhone Without a Charger | Useful Tips
Check for Issues with an App
Sometimes, any iPhone app might be the reason for iPhone black screen issue. It occurs when the apps like Netflix, YouTube are loading something. You may find the black screen due to the slow internet connectivity. In such a case, you shall do the following.
- Exit and close the app to get back to the home screen.
- Launch the App Store and select Updates.
- Look for the available updates for the app that is causing a crashing issue and install it.
- Finally, restart the iPhone and check if that has fixed the issue.
When the problem isn’t resolved, you shall uninstall the app or contact the app developer.
Restore iPhone Via iTunes
When any of the above fixes haven’t resolved the iPhone black screen issue, you shall opt to restore your iPhone without updating. To do this, connect your iPhone to Windows or Mac PC with iTunes installed using the USB cable. You shall back up your files from iPhone to iTunes and then restore the iPhone in recovery mode.
- With iPhone connected to the computer, you should press and release the Volume Up button.
- Now, press and release the Volume Down button.
- Following, press and hold the Power/Side button, and don’t release it until you see the Apple logo.
- When you see the Restore or Update option, you should select Update. When there is no software available, you should press Restore.
- Allow the installation to complete and check if that has fixed the issue.
Perform Device Firmware Upgrade
If your iPhone doesn’t fix the black screen issue after performing recovery mode restore, you shall opt for Device Firmware Upgrade (DFU). It is the deepest system restore, and it will fix the fatal system errors that cause your device to malfunction. It is vital to perform DFU on an iPhone that isn’t physically damaged. With this, do the following steps.
- Close the apps that are running on your PC.
- Now, connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable.
- Press and hold the Power/Side button for 3 seconds.
- While pressing the Power/Side button, you need to press and hold the Volume Down button for 10 seconds.
- If you see the black screen, your iPhone is entered into DFU mode. With this, iTunes will detect your iPhone and prompt you with a message.
- Follow the screen instructions to finish the DFU mode restore process.
Repair the iPhone
When none of the above fixes worked for you, it is recommended to repair your iPhone by an Apple expert. At times, the LCD cable would have been dislodged or the LCD breaking. An expert can better handle all these, and you should reach out to them.
Tips to Avoid iPhone Black Screen & Related Issues
- It is important to check your device’s battery health now and then. Charge the device beforehand to avoid battery draining.
- Install only those trustworthy apps from App Store.
- Check for viruses or malware on your iPhone using a virus scanner.
- It is recommended not to jailbreak your iPhone.
You can connect with the Apple Support team anytime in case of any issues.
That was all the useful info we have got you to fix the black screen issue on iPhone. You could try the above workarounds one by one. If you have any other working fixes, you shall share them with us. Stay tuned to our blog for more such article updates.