AirTag is an electronic tracking device that helps you to track your belongings like wallets, keys, and more. It is a more useful device if you keep forgetting the place where you keep your belongings. It is a small and button-shaped device, so you can just attach the AirTag to the item that you want to track. AirTags come with the CR2032 battery, which lasts for almost one year. After that, you can change the AirPods battery. You can add and manage AirTag with Find My app on your iPhone/iPad. As AirTag is small in size, it can be used for susceptible activities, stalking, stealth tracking, and more. So, it is always better to check whether you are being tracked by detecting an AirTag. If you are not aware of how to detect an AirTag, you are in the right place to find the answer.
How to Detect an AirTag
You can detect an AirTag in different ways. The below section covers all the possible ways to detect an AirTag.
Detect an AirTag with Find My Alerts
Without your knowledge, if an AirTag is traveling with you or if it is someone else’s AirTag, the Find My app will alert you with the message saying that AirTag found moving with you. When the message appears, you can disable the AirTag.
In case you are not viewing the message you receive, you can detect the AirTag with the Find My app. Open the Find My app and click on the Items tab. Under that, choose Items Detected With You, and you can see the list of all the alerts. Among them, if you find a message like AirTag moving with you, you can disable the AirTag.
Detect an AirTag using Play Sound Feature
The next method you can use to find your AirTag is the Play Sound feature. It will help you find the AirTag that is attached to your belongings.
1. Tap on the AirTag Found Moving with You or AirTag Detected Near You alert.
2. Choose the Continue option.
3. Next, click on Play Sound and follow the sound to track the AirTag.
4. If you want, you can play the sound multiple times until you find your AirTag.
Using a Manual Search
If you are unable to find the AirTag with Play Sound, you can conduct a manual search to detect the AirTag.
1. Tap on the AirTag alert you get on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Launch the Tracking Map.
3. The red line will indicate all the previous locations where the AirTag was detected.
4. You can search in the last location that is shown on the map.
Using Bluetooth Tracker App
You can detect an AirTag using a Bluetooth tracker app. BLS Scanner 4.0 is a free app available on App Store and Play Store. You can use the app on your smartphone to find the AirTag.
1. Install the BLE Scanner app on your smartphone.
2. Launch the app and use the mapping feature to find Bluetooth signals by distance.
How to Disable AirTag Quickly
When you find the unknown AirTag, you immediately have to disable it to avoid being tracked. Here are the steps to disable an AirTag.
1. Hold your NFC-capable smartphone to the white side of the AirTag.
2. Click on the Notification that you get. And it will open a website with all the information about the AirTag, including the serial number.
Note: In the details, if the owner is mentioned as the AirTag is lost, you will find the information on how to return it to them. You can use the details to give them back the AirTag.
3. Now, push down and turn the white side of the AirTag counterclockwise.
4. Take the cover out and remove the battery from the AirTag.
5. After removing the battery, the location of the AirTag won’t be tracked.
Now, you can easily detect and disable an AirTag, if it is tracking you without your knowledge. You can also give the device to law enforcement to help you out. You can also reset your AirTag if it is not working properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can find an AirTag with the Map Tracker and Play Sound feature.
If an unknown AirTag is tracking you, you can find it easily with the Find My app.
You can use a Bluetooth tracking app to detect an AirTag with an Android phone.
Remove the battery on the AirTag to prevent tracking.
You can use the Play Sound feature to find AirTag on a car.
Yes, you can track AirTag’s history using the Find My app.
Yes, anyone who gets alerts from the Find My app about the unknown Airtag can detect your AirTag.
No, as of now, AirTag is designed to track only the objects. We can expect the feature in the future.