Mac computers are one of the most advanced and sophisticated computers in the market. Most of the Mac devices sold in the West use English as the default language. Sometimes, it displays the language based on the country or region of its purchase. Mac supports changing or adding languages for your preferences. Whether you want to change the default language or like to add another language to your Mac, it’s quite an easy process. If you aren’t sure how to change the language on Mac, you should check out the below section of this guide for the same.
The reason to change the language may vary from person to person. You may have bought a Mac in a foreign country and want to change the language back to English or add an extra language so a non-English speaker can easily use the computer. It is to note that all the apps on your Mac or the ones you download off the App Store don’t support every language out there.
How to Change or Add a Language on Mac
1. Turn on your Mac and head to System Preferences.
2. In the System Preferences window, find Language & Region
3. Click on the + button that is below the preferred languages menu on the left.
4. From the list of all the available languages, you shall scroll and find the language you want to add to your Mac.
5. A drop-down screen will ask if you’d like to make it the primary language on your Mac. Out of the choices available, select which language you want to keep as the primary language.
6. Further, a pop-up will ask if you’d like to add the language’s Input source – to the keyboard. If so, click Add Input Source or if you don’t want to do it right now, click on Not Now.
7. To add additional language repeat the steps above again.
Related: How To Change Folder Color On Mac [Step-by-Step Guide]
Bonus: How to Change the Language for Individual Apps
1. On your macOS, you shall click on the Apple menu.
2. Select System Preferences and choose Language & Region.
3. Click on Apps to proceed further.
4 (a). To choose a language for an app:
Select the Add button (+) and select the App. Now, choose the language from the pop-up menu. Click Add.
4 (b). To change the language for an app:
Highlight the app to select the new language from the pop-up menu.
4 (c). To remove the app from the list:
Choose the app and click Remove (-). With this, the desired app will use the default language on your macOS.
Related: How To Change App Icons on iPhone [Step-By-Step Guide]
Hope this section has helped you sort out the language issues on Mac and has given you an idea on how to add an additional language or change the primary language depending on what you are looking for. For any queries, you shall drop in the comments below. For more article updates, you should visit our blog.