Problems exist when there is a lot of folders that look alike. So, it will be challenging to find a specific folder among all other folders you have saved that appear on your screen. Fortunately, you can easily organize it on your macOS by changing the colors. Yes. You heard it right, and Mac supports customizing your folder color based on your preference. With this, you can identify a folder with the color. It is helpful and handy if you want to access folders on an instant basis. In addition, the visualization makes it much easier for you to find what you want. Learn how to change the folder color on Mac with the procedure given below.
How to Change Folder Color On Mac
There are different techniques in which you can change or customize the folder color on your macOS.
Change Folder Color on Mac using Preview
The steps to change folder color on Mac are as below:
1. Create a folder and select the one for which you want to change the color.
2. Right-click on the folder. Alternatively, press Ctrl+Click. Then, click on Get Info.
3. Choose the folder icon near the folder name and select Edit. Now, select Copy from the menu bar or copy using shortcut keys by holding Ctrl+C keys.
4. Go to Spotlight Search in the menu bar and search for Preview.
5. Open the Preview app and select the File menu to choose New from the clipboard. A copy of the file will be pasted on the Preview application so that we can add color and save it in the get info.
6. Click the Markup tool (tip of pencil icon) to enter into the menubar options for editing. Then, click the Adjust Color option to fill colors.
7. Once you change the folder color, select File to choose Select All, or you can use keyboard shortcut keys to copy the file.
8. Then, go back to the Get Info menu, tap the folder icon and Paste the copied icon. Now your folder color will be changed.
9. Repeat these steps to change the color of other folders. You can also add the same color to other folders by going to the get info section and pasting the icon on it.
Related: How To Copy And Paste On Mac in 1 Minute [4 Ways]
Using Show View Option
1. Open a folder on Mac and right-click on it, and the popup menu will appear on the screen.
2. From the popup menu, select the Show View option. Next, go to the background section and select the Color radio box.
3. Choose a Color to customize the folder color. Now you can easily change the folder color using this method.
Related: How to Select Multiple Files on a Mac [3 Easy Ways]
Preview is the default application of Mac used for editing. However, if you don’t like to use it, you shall use third-party applications to change the folder color. One of the familiar applications is Image2icon. Similarly, you can also use the Folder Color app. It is very simple to use and is available in the Mac Store. You just have to insert an image and drag that image to the result folder to change folder color on Mac.
FYI: Mac users can customize the folders with images and custom icons. For this, you should open a photo or icon with Preview instead of pasting a copy of your folder. When you paste the image or icon, the folder will display the desired photo or icon.
These are the steps that you can use to change the color of the folder on Mac Mojave/Sierra/Catalina. Hope you found this section helpful and interesting. For more such useful article updates, you shall visit our blog.