Apple Watch is a technological marvel without a doubt. It is all you need to experience GPS, cellular capabilities, and a lot more right on your wrist. In addition, the smartwatch does lots of fitness and health-related tracking without any glitches. Moreover, Apple made FaceTime its default social networking app on iPhone, iPad, and macOS. However, FaceTime for watchOS isn’t developed yet. However, you can make audio calls with the limited features of Facetime. So, you can dive into the article below to know all the possible methods to make Facetime calls using your watchOS.
Can you FaceTime on an Apple Watch?
Generally speaking, there are two types of FaceTime calls – FaceTime video calls and Facetime audio calls. As the watchOS has no built-in camera, you can’t make a video call on Apple Watch. But you aren’t restricted from accessing FaceTime on watchOS. You can still make or answer audio calls on Apple Watch. Before getting into the section below, ensure that you have an Apple Watch with watchOS 5 or a later version.
How to FaceTime on Apple Watch?
There are different ways to make FaceTime audio calls. They are given below.
FaceTime on Apple Watch using Siri
The most convenient and straightforward way to place FaceTime audio calls on watchOS is by using Siri.
1. Start by saying, “Hey Siri,” and then you need to press and hold the Digital Crown. Alternatively, you shall press the Siri widget on your watch face.
2. Now, say “FaceTime (contact name).”
3. With this, watchOS will begin making the audio call using the FaceTime app to the desired contact.
Note: watchOS will follow the protocols of FaceTime, and it uses the internet or Wi-Fi connection and not a cellular network to communicate.
Facetime on Apple Watch using the Phone App
FaceTime lets you make an audio call to your contacts from the Phone app of your watchOS.
1. On your watchOS, tap on the Phone app to launch it.
2. Select the Contacts option to proceed.
3. Now, choose the person with whom you want to make a FaceTime audio call.
4. Click on the Phone icon and tap on FaceTime Audio.
5) You can also use the option Favorites or Recents to call your desired person quickly. Just tap an option and click the FaceTime Audio option displayed under the contact.
FaceTime on Apple Watch using the Contact App
1) Press the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch and navigate to the Home screen.
2) Search for the Contacts app and select it.
3) On the app’s interface, you’ll see the list of people in your contact list. Tap the name of a person you wanted to Facetime audio call.
4) Click the Phone icon and tap the option FaceTime Audio to make your audio call.
FaceTime on Apple Watch from the Message App
1) Go to the Message app on your Apple Watch.
2) Select a person and look for the option Details at the bottom of the chat.
3) Tap the Phone icon and hit the option FaceTime Audio.
FaceTime on Apple Watch using the Walki-Talkie App
You can also use the Facetime feature on the Walkie-Talkie app to send audio messages to your desired person. Before jumping into the steps, make sure to use the watchOS 5 or later models to access the Walkie-Talkie app.
1) Tap the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch and go to Home Screen.
2) Locate and select the Walkie-Talkie app.
3) Click the Add Friends button and add a person from your contact list.
4) Press and hold down the Touch & Hold to Talk icon and speak your message. Then release your finger from the icon after speaking. Likewise, your friend also will deliver you a message.
Related – How to Use FaceTime on Apple Watch
How to Use FaceTime on Apple Watch
When you’re on a FaceTime call, you can see different buttons and icons on the watch screen. The functions of the buttons and icons are discussed below.
- End-Call Button – As the name implies, if you want to end a call, tap this button.
- Microphone icon – You’ll be able to see an orange Microphone icon at the top of the screen. This icon indicates that your Apple Watch is using the Microphone.
- Speaker icon – This icon is displayed on the right side of the watch screen. Tap this button to increase or decrease volume.
- Mute Button – You’ll see a Mute button (Microphone icon ) near the End-call button, hit the button to mute your call. To unmute, tap the button again.
- More icon – This icon allows you to choose the audio output. Tap the three-dots icon and select your desired output option.
You might also be interested in How to Answer Calls on Apple Watch
Bonus: How to Transfer FaceTime Audio Calls from Apple Watch to iPhone
1) Hit the green-color button to answer the call.
2) Take your iPhone and tap the phone icon exhibited on the top-left.
3) The call will be transferred automatically from the Apple Watch to the iPhone.
You can also switch back calls from your iPhone to Apple Watch. To do that, refer to the steps given below.
1) After transferring the call from Apple Watch to iPhone, you can see an AirPlay icon on the Apple Watch.
2) Tap the AirPlay icon and click the Okay button on the pop-up message to transfer the call back to your Apple Watch.
Now we’re at the end. Follow the above methods to make FaceTime calls on watchOS. I hope that the methods discussed in this article are helpful to you. Also, If you have any difficulties making FaceTime Calls, you can comment below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Apple Watch has FaceTime, but it can be used only to make audio calls.
Yes. You can FaceTime audio calls on Apple Watch 6. FaceTime feature is supported for Apple Watch with watchOS 5 or later version.
Currently, the video call feature is not available on Apple Watch. You can only use the audio call feature on Apple Watch.
Yes. You can transfer the audio call from iPhone to the Apple Watch.