Facebook is mostly used for communication. While Facebook is a cross-platform app and available for most devices, it isn’t made for Apple Watch. The unavailability of a dedicated Facebook app for Apple Watch doesn’t mean you cannot access it. You can still use some of the Facebook features from your wrist without relying on your iPhone.
Can You Use Facebook on Apple Watch?
Yes. The indirect way of using Facebook on watchOS is through WebKit. Apple has integrated WebKit, Safari browser’s engine, into watchOS 5 or higher. With this, you can open a full web page by sending a link using email or text messages. We recommend sharing the link via email, as you can flag it and open it to access Facebook anytime. Before moving into the steps, update your Apple Watch to the latest watchOS version.
Tip: To flag the email message, hold your finger down on the watchOS display while the message is on the screen. Tap on the Flag option on the pop-up menu.
How to Get Facebook on Apple Watch
1. Start by composing an email or message to yourself from any device.
2. Provide the link, https://www.facebook.com, in the body of the email.
3. Enter the same email address you have used to set up mail on your iPhone to access the email message from watchOS.
4. On your watchOS, open the Mail app and go to the inbox.
5. Swipe down the screen to download the email message.
6. As soon as the email appears on watchOS, open the message and click on the Facebook link.
7. When the Facebook website loads, provide your login credentials to log in and use Facebook.
Note: Since Safari isn’t available on watchOS, you cannot expect all the features to work as iPhone or macOS. For instance, you can read Facebook updates, messages, etc., while you cannot watch videos.
If you need to chat with your friends on Facebook using your smartwatch, watchOS has a dedicated Messenger app for Apple Watch. Install the Messenger app and chat with your friends on Facebook from your watchOS.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. You can’t install the Facebook app on watchOS.
You can get Instagram on Apple Watch using the Lens app.