With a hands-on Mac, sometimes the users get annoyed with the frequent notifications. It distracts them from doing their present activity and results in decreased productivity. To avoid distraction and concentrate on a single task, the Mac device has the mode Do Not Disturb. Enabling this feature mutes all notifications and so the user can focus on the particular task. The user can also schedule the Do Not Disturb mode and create shortcut keys to enable and disable it. But some users struggle to turn on/off Do Not Disturb mode. The blog is for those who are finding the procedure difficult. Follow the steps provided below and know how to enable or disable Do Not Disturb mode on Mac.
How to Enable or Disable Do Not Disturb on Mac
There are three methods in which you can enable or disable Do Not Disturb on Mac devices,
- Using Keyboard Shortcut or Creating a Keyboard Shortcut
- Using Control Center
- With the DND Icon in the Menu bar
Enable or Disable Do Not Disturb on Mac using Keyboard Shortcut
1) Hold and press the Option Key on your keyboard and select the Control Center icon displayed at the top of the menu bar.
2) Now, you can notice the color change of the icon from white to light grey.
3) It indicates that the Do Not Disturb mode is enabled.
4) To turn it off, hold the Option key and click on the Control Center icon.
5) Now, the color changes from light grey to white. It indicates DND is turned off.
Note: You can also enable and disable Do Not Disturb by holding down the Option key and tapping the date and time in your menu bar.
To Create Keyboard Shortcut to use DND on Mac
You can also create your shortcut key for enabling Do Not Disturb mode on Mac. To create a shortcut key, refer to the steps given below.
1) Go to System Preferences by tapping the Apple icon.
2) Select the Keyboard option.
3) When the new screen appears, click on the Shortcuts option.
4) Tap Mission Control.
5) You’ll notice an option Turn Do Not Disturb On/Off, tick the box.
6) Now, double-click None and set your desired keys by pressing it.
Note: You can choose any numeral or alphabetical key.
7) After setting up your shortcut key, navigate to the home screen and tap Fn /Option/Control/Command key plus the key you’ve chosen.
8) You can notice that the Do Not Disturb option is enabled.
9) To disable, Untick the box Turn Do Not Disturb On/Off.
Using Control Center to Turn On/Off Do Not Disturb on Mac
1) On the menu bar of your macOS, click on the Control Center icon.
2) A small screen appears, displaying several options.
3) Hit the toggle button to enable the Do Not Disturb option.
4) To disable, tap the toggle button again.
How to Turn On/Off Do Not Disturb on Mac using DND Icon in the Menu Bar
1) Click on the Do Not Disturb icon (the icon looks like a half-moon).
2) After tapping it, you’ll see a list of duration options.
3) Choose your desired option. With that, you can see the icon color changed from white to grey. It indicates that the Do Not Disturb option is enabled.
Follow the steps listed below to display the Do Not Disturb icon on the menu bar.
1) Go to System Preferences on your Mac
2) Select Dock and Menu bar settings.
3) Under Dock and Menu bar, select Do Not Disturb and tick the Show in Menu Bar option.
Bonus: How to Schedule Do Not Disturb on Mac
1) Tap the Apple icon displayed at the top left corner.
2) Go to System Preferences.
3) Select Notifications.
3) Tap Do Not Disturb and tick the box From – to
4) Set your desired time, and the Do Not Disturb Mode will be enabled at the given time.
5) To disable, untick the box From – to.
Refer to the above steps to get rid of frequent alerts with the help of DND. The Do Not Disturb mode is a great feature that helps us to avoid unnecessary attention. So, those working on an important project can go ahead to enable Do Not Disturb. The keyboard Shortcut method is the easiest and quickest way to enable or disable Do Not Disturb mode on Mac. Hope this article was useful! If you’re curious to know more interesting tips and tricks of Apple products, visit our blog.