AirPods are Apple’s wireless headphones introduced with the iPhone 7 in 2016. With AirPods, you can make phone calls and listen to all your favorite songs. You can listen to audio very conveniently with AirPods. You can connect AirPods with iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and even non-Apple devices. The best thing is it is Siri compatible. You can connect your AirPods with your iPhone and Apple Watch by pressing the setup button on the back of the charging case. Once you connect AirPods to a device associated with iCloud, it will automatically recognize the other devices connected, such as iPads, iPods, Mac, and Apple Watch. However, sometimes after connecting the AirPods, you might notice no sound coming from AirPods. It is because of technical glitches or any other issues. If you find AirPods connected but no sound error on your AirPods, you shall check out this section to know the best fixes.
AirPods Connected But No Sound – Best Fixes
Here we have listed out the best fixes that will be more useful when you cannot hear the sounds on your AirPods.
- Clean the AirPods
- Reset your AirPods
- Adjust the volume of the AirPods
- Reset the network settings
- Charge the AirPods
- Disable/enable automatic detection
- Update your iOS device
- Restart your iOS device
- Contact Apple support
Clean the AirPods
There are many chances for the AirPods to get dirt. If your AirPods are not clean, the sound may not be audible. So, first, you have to clean your AirPods. You can use any soft material and a cotton bud to clean your AirPods. And make sure to clean the device occasionally but don’t damage them.
Charge the AirPods
When AirPods says connected but no sound, you should check the battery level on your AirPods. If the battery is too low, you need to charge your AirPods.
1. Keep the AirPods in the charging case.
2. Check the level of the charge. If the charge is too low, charge the device for 30 to 40 minutes.
3. Once charged enough, play something and check the sound on the AirPods.
Refresh Bluetooth Connection
Bluetooth is unlike WIFI connectivity as it can neither work for too long nor for long-range. So, if you have connected AirPods some time back, you shall refresh the Bluetooth connection and check if AirPods Pro is connected, but no sound issue is resolved.
1. To access Bluetooth, go to the iPhone/iPad Settings and select Bluetooth.
2. Tap on the Toggle button next to Bluetooth to disable it.
3. Wait for a minute and tap on the slider to turn on Bluetooth connectivity.
4. Now, check if you can hear the audio from your AirPods.
Reset your AirPods
The next best fix is resetting your AirPods. Before resetting, make sure that AirPods are charged to 50%.
1. Go to Settings after connecting the AirPods to iPhone or iPad.
2. Tap the Bluetooth option and select “i” next to your AirPods name.
3. Next, click on Forget this Device and then choose Confirm.
4. Then, keep the AirPods in the charging case and close the lid.
5. After about 60 seconds, you can open the charging case and press the setup button from the backside.
6. Keep pressing 15 seconds until a flashing lite turns on.
7. Now, reconnect the AirPods to your iPhone/iPad, play any music, and check the sound.
Adjust the Volume of the AirPods
If AirPods are not playing sound, you can adjust the volume of the AirPods. You can even check if your AirPods is muted to resolve the issue.
1. First, disconnect the AirPods from your iOS device.
2. Launch the Settings app and tap Music.
3. Move to Volume Limit and set the volume to maximum.
4. Return back to Settings and tap Accessibility and Audio/Visual.
5. Then, choose Balance Left or Right. If you keep the slider in the center, both AirPods will receive equal sound.
6. Now, play something and check whether the no sound coming from the AirPods issue got resolved.
Reset the Network Settings
The other best solution to fix the AirPods not playing sound issue is resetting the network settings. Once you reset the network settings properly, you will hear the sound from the AirPods.
1. Go to the Settings menu on your iOS device to which you have connected the AirPods.
2. Tap the General menu and click on Reset Network Only option.
Enable/Disable Automatic Detection
Sometimes, there may be any issues with auto-detection. You can disable the automatic ear detection feature on your iPhone/iPad and check whether the problem persists or not. To check navigate to Settings >> Bluetooth >> AirPods >> Disable Automatic Ear Detection.
Update your iOS device
Usually, any new update released for Airpods gets updated when it is paired with iPhone/iPad. Sometimes, there will also be errors when using older versions. Check for pending updates and do update them.
1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone/iPad.
2. Tap General and then Software Update.
3. Wait for the updating process. Once done, turn off your device.
4. Then, connect the device and check for the sound.
Restart your iOS device
There could be problems with your iOS devices also. So, restart the iOS device to rectify the problem.
1. Navigate to Settings >> General.
2. Now, press the Shut Down button to restart the device.
3. Once the device is restarted, connect your AirPods and check whether the sound is audible or not.
Contact Apple Support
If the problem still persists after trying out all the above-given fixes, you can contact the Apple support team.
AirPods Connected to MacBook but No Sound – How to Fix
If you’re unable to hear the sound when connecting the AirPods to Mac. You can follow the steps given below to solve the issue.
1. Go to the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
2. Search for the Bluetooth icon and click on it.
3. Turn off the Bluetooth and wait for a few minutes.
4. Then, navigate to AirPods and tap the X icon.
5. Put the AirPods in the charging case and take it out after a few minutes.
6. Press and hold the setup button at the back of the AirPods until a white light flashes.
7. Next, tap the Connect button for the AirPods to connect to your Mac.
8. Check the sound is audible or not.
AirPods Connected But No Sound on Windows 10 – Best Fixes
Some Windows 10 users have raised complaints about AirPods being connected but no sound. If you get the same problem, here are the best fixes.
- Check for Windows updates
- Set AirPods as the default device
- Reboot the Bluetooth support device
- Update your Bluetooth driver
These are the best fixes you can use when the AirPods are connected, but no sound error occurs. Once you resolve the issue, you can listen to your favorite music and have a conversation with your loved one without any issues.
Related: How To Connect AirPods to Windows 10 [Step-by-Step Guide]
Frequently Asked Questions
If your AirPods are connected but not able to hear the sound, you can check the battery level on your AirPods, clean your AirPod, reconnect the AirPods to the device. For more fixes, read the article completely.
Yes, you can use the flush button on the back of the charging case to connect to non-Apple devices.
You can use one AirPod to listen to music and make phone calls. It will save the battery life of your AirPods.